They’re sugar-free, gluten-free and dairy-free and so you would be forvgiven for thinking that with all that ‘free-ness’ they’d be about as delicious as one of those supermarket diet-range “healthy” snacks. But no, these little balls of energy are a taste sensation and really easy to make.
Here’s what you need:
- 200g ground hazlenuts
- 200g ground almonds
- 150g dates
- vanilla – just a bit
- Can of coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (buy a good quality one, your tastebuds will thank you later)
- 100g desiccated coconut
1. Mix together the ground hazlenuts and almonds. Keep back a bit of the ground almonds in case you need them to thicken your mixture later.
2. Put the dates in the blender. (If you don’t have a blender then it’s really difficult to get the right consistency so if you’re going to make these, think about investing in a good one!)
3. Blend the dates together with the coconut milk, adding a little at a time along with the vanilla until you have a fine and creamy consistency. Add 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
4. Mix together your wet and dry ingredients, this can be done by hand. Again, hold back a bit on your wet ingredients so you can be sure the mixture doesn’t get too liquidy. Mix well for a few minutes, then taste. If the mixture tastes too crumbly or dry then you can mix up some more dates, if it is too wet then add your leftover ground almonds.
5. Shape the mixture into balls of any size you like, I usually go for ping pong ball sized and it makes around 20, but you could make bigger or smaller. Roll your balls in a bowl of desiccated coconut to give them a crisp, sweet edge.
6. Refrigerate, they taste best cold. Enjoy.
These energy balls are something I’ve only discovered in the last year and they are perfect for so many occasions: post work-out snack, mid-afternoon office boost, Sunday evening on the sofa indulgence – they do it all. I won’t lie and say they’re low in calories, they’re clearly not, nor are they particularly cheap to make, but the ingredients are certainly going to do more for you than reaching for that bar of Dairy Milk.